The timbered building was erected in 1821 out of pine logs reclaimed from the earlier manor house. The house rests on granite slabs and is clad with boards. It has a slate roof with tiles from nearby Grythyttan slate quarry. The building was insured against fire the year of its construction, and the attached inventory list mentions French wallpapers in three rooms and painted floors in two. The house still has its original two chimneys clad with sheet metal as mentioned in the inventory. The catalogue also mentions four Swedish tiled stoves, one cast iron stove, a brick oven and a smaller ditto. The south wing was completely refurbished for the first time in 1918, when electricity was installed and the ceiling was raised on the ground floor level. In 1959, running water and a sewage system was installed. It was last renovated for the wedding of Carl Jan Granqvist in 1991.
Today, the south wing houses six en-suite double rooms. Four are located on the ground floor and has a shared drawing room and kitchenette. The ground floor also has a veranda with offers fantastic views of the stream outside and lake Saxen. On the first floor, there are two double rooms separated by a large furnished landing serving as a shared drawing room.
The north wing dates from 1812 and is built of stone, brick and slag stone, the latter a by-product of the iron manufacturing process. It originally had rooms for the farm hands, a bakery, storage rooms for grain and larders. The top floor housed two gable rooms.
The north wing was completely renovated and refurbished in 1959. Today, the ground floor consists of a drawing room with an open fireplace, one single and two double rooms. The first floor houses two double rooms.
The Middle Manor (Mellangården)
A ‘bergsman’ is an obsolete term for a farmer and landowner who was also a shareholder in a mine and/or an iron works. By the late eighteenth century, many bergsmän (pl.) became wealthy and created a new type of local aristocracy in central Sweden’s iron belt Bergslagen, to which Saxå Bruk belongs.
On the other side of the stream, five minutes’ walk from Saxå Manor, is the red, timbered two-and-a-half floor Middle Manor from the early 1800s. The house was built as a result of a new generation taking over (there is also a Northern and a Southern Manor). It has been used in many different ways, amongst other things as an inn.
From 1918 to 1976, it provided accommodation for staff working on the estate. In 1987, the building was converted into four en suites and four double rooms. The large building is situated by lake Saxen. It has its own little sandy beach and has Saxå Golf Club and its restaurant on its doorstep.